FACT recognizes the importance of fostering educational initiatives developed for students by their peers as an effective way to increase awareness and understanding of HIV/AIDS . The knowledge acquired at this time in a student’s life can prove to be extremely valuable in life. For students of any age, FACT offers scholarship opportunities.
- The Healthy Body & Mind Scholarships of $500 will be awarded to three (3) students who develop a short essay on the spread and prevention of HIV. The essay is to show the student’s awareness of the disease and its impact on society.
- For students selecting a career related to the prevention, spread, or cure of HIV, FACT awards the Healthy, Mind & Spirit Scholarships in the amount of $1,000. Two (2) students are considered for this scholarship by developing and delivering a short class presentation that discusses the impact of HIV/AIDS on our culture, its history, and its future (A FACT Board member must be present for the presentation). A minimum of 10 students must attend the presentation. In addition, the student presenter needs to create a related campaign on FACT’s First Giving page to raise awareness and funding to support FACT in their community in order to be considered.
- Students who wish to focus their future career around HIV/AIDS matters in social work, medicine, politics, or another field of endeavor, can be considered for the Rick Shaw, Eddie Coogan or Bob Burton Memorial Scholarships. These three (3) scholarships are awarded in amounts of $1,500 (2) & 2,000 (Bob Burton) and require recipients to complete a year of community service with FACT or a similar organization. Students are considered for this scholarship by developing a short essay on AIDS-awareness. In addition, the student presenter needs to create a related campaign on FACT’s First Giving page to raise awareness and funding to support FACT in their community in order to be considered.
- Rick Shaw was a past president of FACT, Eddie Coogan was a past board member of FACT and
Bob Burton was one of the founders of FACT. We honor their lives and achievements by granting these scholarships. We also accept donations directly to our scholarship program that will be earmarked specifically to this memorial. When making this donation please indicate that it is for the Scholarship Memorial Fund.
Scholarships are paid by FACT directly to an accredited institution of the student’s
choice and can be used for tuition or supplies.
- Use the form below to submit a half- or full-page overview to the FACT board explaining your connection and awareness of FACT’s mission and objectives. Overviews should be 500 words or less.
- The FACT committee will recommend and the board will choose scholarship recipients based on overview submissions.
- Recipients prepare the essays and create fundraising page on FirstGiving.
- FACT’s Scholarship Committee will review all essays for accuracy, appropriateness, sensitivity, and subject matter.
- Submissions are to be completed & presented 60 days prior to the start of the student’s studies. FACT board currently meets on a quarterly basis, with additional on-line meetings. Submissions will be reviewed as quickly as possible.